Welcome to the CSIR Meraka Institute's "COIN" Blog

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

The revolution has begun

Here is a list of all the people registered on www.nodedb.com in Johburg and Pretoria with wifi access points. Disorganised collection of people with all sorts of AP's - no one doing any meshing as yet. Question is - does the CSIR reveal their network to the general population - register on nodedb.com?? Security issues could prohibit and we have a different purpose - namely Removing the barriers to enable bottom-up creation of access infrastructure through use of wireless mesh netwirking - their purpose is similar to CB radio - just make a community network. It might be good though to involve a few of these nodes in Pta if the can help on linux/linksys coding side - we could isolate them from the csir network.

List of all active Pretoria nodes

List of all active Johannesburg nodes

Also thanks Albert for pointing our JAWUG (Johannesburg Area Wireless User Group)
JAWUG

The vision of JaWug is to create the largest Community run Wireless Network in the Johannesburg area.

JaWug is a not-for-profit effort to develop a wireless broadband community network in Johannesburg - a free, locally owned wireless backbone.

To get aroung any legal attacks they put a discalimer on their site: Please Note: We do NOT sell Internet connectivity!

There is also a lot of actiuvity and interest in Pretoria - apparently a network called FreeNet - can't find a URL - found this long discussion on the south african myadsl forum

Discussion about sharing ADSL through WiFi in Pta

7 comments:

job opportunitya said...

Fascinating blog. I loved the site you did a good
job on it, I will be back! I surf the net for blog
like this one.
In my spare time I will look for your blog.

James Baker said...

Hi king david! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
Computer Graphics
It covers Computer Graphics related subjects.
Have a great day!

James Baker said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you, king david, how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
Augres Computer sales repair
It covers Augres Computer sales repair related contents.
All the best!

Paul Adams said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you, king david, a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
computer batteries
It covers computer batteries related contents.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

job opportunitya said...

Hot blog. When I get to seraching on the web for
blogs, its got to be like yours! And the site is off
the hook! I just kept coming back!
Look who checking out my cosmetic plastic surgery blog?

My VoIp Solutions said...

Hi Thanks for your interesting blog. I also have a blog/site, covering flyfone voip related stuff. Feel free to visit my flyfone voip site.

cctv said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a video surveillance equipment site/blog. It pretty much covers video surveillance equipment related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)